Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Lemon Squares - The Cheaters Edition

The other day I was missing my dad. He loved lemon squares. And food in general. I wanted to make some but didn't have enough lemons to even attempt it. After some Internet browsing we came across a lot of tips on how to do them with angel food cake mixes. Which of course I didn't have. So we made a crust (from another recipe) and crumble from a yellow cake mix and added pie filling, which had been done in the angel food cake mix recipes. I am sure I wasn't the first to come up with this idea. But I love it.  




Ingredients:
1 stick butter
1 box yellow cake mix
1 can lemon pie filling

Other utensils: 
Bowl
Spoon
Cooking Spray
13 X 9 inch glass pan

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix (room temperature) butter and cake mix together until combined well. 

Spray pan with cooking spray.

Reserve 2/3 cup mixture of cake/butter mixing.
 
Press mixture from cake/butter into the bottom of the pan to form a crust.

Pour lemon pie filling on top of the formed crust.

Spread evenly.

Crumble remaining mixture over the top of the lemon pie filling. 



Cook for 25 minutes. 

That's it. It's seriously that easy. They were delicious. I like mine cold, so I waited a few minutes and then cut out two pieces and slid them into the fridge for Mom and I to try. I can't say enough how easy and tasty they were. And three ingredients. Voila. 

We're debating on what we want to try as the pie filling next: cherry or peach. Either way, I think we hit the nail on the head with a tasty and easy way to make dessert next time we are craving a sweet treat.

Tip: I know that they have a great gluten free yellow cake mix. This could easily be a great crust for many gluten free desserts, for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment