Thursday, August 8, 2013

Baked Panko Zucchini and Eggplant

Facebook has become the new Pintrest. There are recipes at every turn. For me? A dream come true. For others, probably an annoyance. Most recently someone posted a picture of baked Panko zucchini to their page. (Link to original post here.)

It was an amazing recipe. I'm unsure if that was the original poster or if she had taken it from somewhere else. But you know, credit goes to where it is due. That's the post that gave me the main recipe. I only added a few tweaks.

Ingredients:
Zucchini (this recipe is for one medium sized)
1 cup Panko
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
2 Eggs
1/4 cup Milk
2 Tablespoons Flour

Other Utensils:
Knife
Cutting Board
Three bowls
Cooking Sheet
Cooking Spray


Directions:
Preheat oven to: 400 degrees

First, find out what works best for you. The original post used bags (gallon Ziploc like) for their mixtures. I like the bowl method better. Either way you're going to be dumping veggies in there and coating them. So bags if you have kids and want to cut down on mess. Bowls if you are like me and want to be quick and easy and make sure everything is coated well. (And I'm messy but I am okay with this.)

Spray a cooking sheet with non-stick spray

Put your flour into one bowl.

Mix eggs and milk into a bowl. 

Mix the Panko and Parmesan cheese into another bowl.

Feel free to set up a cute little cooking station. I certainly like to. It's more fun, more efficient, and bonus - you're totally on your own cooking show. Try to keep the talking to yourself to a minimum as you will look crazy. And no one wants that. 

Cut the zucchini into small rounds. Thin is better, for sure. More uniform the better, for cooking time.

Dip cut rounds into the flour mixture.

Dip floured rounds into egg wash. I suggest putting them in and then using a fork to dip them out to cut down on mess. You will receive extra points if you yell "Man overboard" every time you push a veggie into the wash. ...not that I did this. ...or did I?

Transfer from egg wash into Panko mixture.

Make sure they are coated evenly. Suggestion: fork works best here too. Saves your hands and makes sure you don't have any of those corners empty that you were holding to dip them into any of the mixtures.

Transfer your fabulous concoction to the cooking sheet.



Pop into oven. Set timer for 20 minutes.

Wait and wait and wait. Pretend you aren't THAT excited about them.

At 20 minutes flip them over. Marvel at how adorable they already look and salivate a bit.

Pop back into oven. Set time for 15 more minutes.

Depending on how crunchy you like the outside/how soft you want the inside you may need to adjust your cooking time. Original poster cooked for 30 minutes and mine were maybe a bit thicker than theirs, which meant I had to cook for just a bit longer. I also liked them pretty crispy.

Take them out and pretend you are on a cooking show as you grin at how delightful they look.



Serve them with the poster's fabulous Dill Dip. Enjoy!

My next post will include the dill dip that we later turned into salad dressing as well. And trust me, you don't want to miss it.

Variation: I also had Japanese eggplant from the neighbor's garden. So I made some eggplant as well. Truth be told? I liked that even better than the zukes, which were fantastic. On the eggplant we followed the same recipe, but cooking time was 15 on one side, 10 on the other. They were fantastic. She's already promised me 4-5 more of them in the next few days. And I think that one night for dinner next week we will just have breaded eggplant. Yum. In the next few days I will post a homemade marinara sauce that we'll be trying with the next eggplant batch, made from tomatoes from Dad's garden.

Here are the cute eggplants. I would apologize for it being such a sad picture of them. But we ate so many so fast, right off the cooking sheet - we just didn't have time for pictures. (Check out that dip. Her dip recipe was fantastic!)





No comments:

Post a Comment