Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Sausage Stuffed Acorn Squash



I have a food problem. Meaning I am one of those people who will fill your Facebook feed with pictures of what I am cooking. I feel like I should apologize, but I just don't. Because it usually is amazing food. So...you're welcome? Instead of I'm sorry...? Heh.

This particular picture was met with many - "ew, that looks gross." or "What is that?" or "Interesting...?" instead of the usual "That looks great!" I would like to pretend that this swayed me not to post this here. But I can't, not. Because a.) It's tasty b.) It's easy. So ignore the fact that you think it looks gross (it isn't pretty, I won't pretend it is...) and just try it!

Ingredients:
2 Acorn Squash
1 lb. breakfast sausage
1 medium onion
2 stalks of celery
1/3 cup sour cream


Other Utensils:
Skillet
Knife
Wooden Spoon
Cutting Board
Baking Dish large enough to fit all 4 halves of squash



Directions 
 
Preheat oven to 400 degrees  
 
Cut acorn squash in half and scoop out seeds
 
Cover bottom of baking dish with water (just enough to barely cover the bottom)
 
Place squash into pan cut side down
 
Cook for 35-40 minutes (until it is almost fork tender when you remove it from oven)
 
While that cooks
 
Brown one pound of sausage with onion and celery, making sure to crumble it as it cooks
 
Remove from heat when cooked and stir in sour cream 
 
When acorn squash is fork tender, stuff them with the meat mixture

Return to oven for 15 minutes until heated through
 
Enjoy!


GLUTEN NOTE: Gluten free is easy here. But as always, check your ingredients to make sure there are no hidden things you weren't aware of. 

HEALTHY NOTE: I usually use turkey sausage and a low-fat sour cream just to make it healthier as you go along. But it is just as delicious without these modifications, I imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment