Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Easy Slow-Cooker Pot Roast



Ingredients:
1 medium sized beef roast
1 packet of dried onion soup mix
1 can or small bottle of soda/pop/coke
salt and pepper



Other Utensils:
Slow cooker
Fork

Directions

Salt and pepper the roast on both sides 

Add to slow cooker

Empty one packet of onion soup mix over meat
 
Pour coke over the meat
 

 
This is the part where it fizzes and I feel slightly like a mad scientist and cackle maniacally 
(feel free to improvise here and become your character..)

  
Cook on low for 6+ hours

That's really it. You eat it. You love it. You think - "Wow, that was easy. I should never tell anyone how easy that was..."

If you're around, turn the roast every so often, but I've found that isn't really imperative. And when you do turn it near the end? Be prepare for it to fall apart and be so tender you lose chunks in the process. As evidence I submit the following picture to the jury:

The only evidence of this that exists is photographic. And it was hard to wait to take the picture and not just to eat it. But then I did. I thought of you all while doing so. So that has to count for something, right?

Seriously. It's that easy. And that fabulous. Serve it with whatever you want! Mashed potatoes. Rice. Boiled potatoes. Veggies.

Soon I will make a post that outlines the crazy things we do with the leftovers from a roast. Usually we make Italian beefs or BBQ beef. But it's one roast that usually makes two to three (separate but equally amazing) dinners.

Note: I used Diet Coke here to cut out sugars, sure, but mainly because it was what I had on hand. You can use regular Coke, Diet Coke, Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, anything in place of it. I could go on about how it tenderizes the meat and caramelizes some of the onion flavor - but do you care or do you just want to eat? Just eat it.

Gluten Tip: Lipton's was gluten-free for as long as I can remember. But they had reformulated and added barley. I'm unsure if that's still the case or not. Feel free to read up on it: here. And if you're looking to make sure the onion soup mix is totally gluten free here is a good recipe for that.

Gluten Free Onion Soup Mix

3/4 cup instant minced onion
1/3 cup beef bouillon powder
4 teaspoons onion powder
1/4 teaspoon crushed celery seed
1/4 teaspoon sugar
One package = 5 tablespoons.

Onion Soup Recipe Credit: Food.com 
I've used it once and found it to be a great substitute. 

No comments:

Post a Comment