Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Corn Dog Pie

I feel absolutely ridiculous and terrible even pretending to call this a recipe. Because it's that easy, folks. No joke. I try to cook healthier (I don't pretend it's healthy, just healthier choices here and there) but this does not fall into that category. This is a corn dog, In a pie. No one is pretending that corn dogs are good for you. But they are one thing: tasty. And so is this.

The basic premise is this: Take your favorite corn bread recipe, chop hot dogs and add them into the mixture. Pour it into pans and cook. Done. Tastes great. I'm sure someone else had done this before. But I had made corn dog muffins before (too much cinnamon, they were terrible. Think: cinnamon flavored hot dog. Ew.) and I can make a mean corn muffin or even homemade corn bread. But I wanted a corn dog, and I wanted it to be easy and less messy than trying to make them into muffins and make sure each one had enough hot dog, etc. So voila. I thought I was a genius, at the time. I'm sure I wasn't and this has been made 1,000 times over.

Tip: I would make this with my favorite corn bread recipe. Which I will post for you sometime soon. But this night I was lazy and just used a Jif box for corn bread. I suggest if you are pressed for time, like I was? Do it. It's just as good and you'll appreciate the sleep you have later. I'm all about making things fresh and making them from scratch as often as you can. But again, I was craving a corn dog. So I wasn't - clearly - thinking about healthy and awesome. I was just thinking tasty. This worked. So again, here's the "recipe" but I hesitate to even call it that!

Ingredients:
2 packages of your favorite cornbread muffin mix (or homemade, recipe to follow)
**Follow their recipe for making the bread, this recipe was for Jif's**
2 eggs
2/3 cup milk
6 hot dogs
Cooking Spray

Other Utensils:
2 8inch round pans
Fork
Spoon
Spatula


Directions

Preheat oven according to your recipe's indication (Mine is for Jif, again and it was 400 degrees)

Mix eggs and milk

Stir in both boxes dry ingredients

Cut hot dogs into small rounds (throw ends to the dogs if you are like me and won't eat them. Don't ask....)

Fold hot dogs into corn bread mixture

Spray cooking pans

Distribute evenly into both pans

Cook for 15 minutes and check them (toothpick should come clean when inserted in the middle)

Take out

Be ashamed it was that easy

Let cool for 5 minutes (at least)

Cut

Enjoy with ketchup and/or mustard and pretend you are at the county fair

Tell all your friends how fancy you are for having made corn dog pie

I would imagine that you don't really want to follow that last step. Or if so omit the word "fancy" from the sentence. Just tell them you made it. Heh. 






No comments:

Post a Comment